Monday, July 25, 2011

I Got Your Locavore Right Here

Today I needed to pick up a few "healthy" things, as my fridge was getting bare.  So I headed over to Whole Foods, which is where I go when I need an assortment of stuff, and don't want to go to 9 or 10 different places - at WF, it's all under one roof, and I like that.

You all know that I try to shop "local" whenever I can - or at least as local as the Union Square Greenmarket allows.  You know, it's not being shipped in from California at the greenmarket, 'cause that's not allowed.

Whole Foods, at least the ones that I know about here in New York, also try to carry some local products, in addition to the stuff they get from around the world.  I'm never surprised to see corn from Long Island, tomatoes from Jersey, apples and onions from upstate New York; well, you get the picture.

But I was surprised to see this - because as the sign above the display said, it comes from 3.4 miles away...


Yep, Gotham Greens, from Greenpoint, Brooklyn. Rooftop grown lettuces. As their web site states:

Gotham Greens is a New York City based company dedicated to growing the highest quality vegetables and culinary herbs for local restaurants and retailers. Gotham Greens’ premium quality, pesticide-free vegetables and herbs are grown in sterile rooftop greenhouses using clean, renewable energy. 

Fuggetaboutit.  And - take that, locavores!

1 comment:

  1. The only thing better is growing it on your windowsill or in the bathtub (but I'm not a fan of hydroponics).

    ReplyDelete