Friday, October 18, 2013

Fish Soup

Fish soup isn't something I make on a regular basis. But because my really excellent fishing adventure just after Labor Day gifted me with about 5 lbs. of gorgeous striped bass (vacuum sealed and in the freezer), and because Significant Eater (for some reason?) decided that she wanted fish soup, out came the 4 quart saucepan the other night.

Oh yeah, I've made different variations of fish soup before.  Once, I made an outstanding Cioppino, even making a fish/crab stock for the base; the house smelled like fish for about a week after that.  I've made clam chowder - both cream and tomato based.  I've even made Bouillabaisse, and boy is that ever a lot of work...just spelling it is a pain in the ass.

Anyway, this fish soup was gonna be easy - I only wanted to use stuff I had in the pantry and or fridge.

Fish Soup

1 onion, chopped
1 whole red bell pepper, chopped
2 stalks celery (and leaves, if you have them), chopped
1 lb. potatoes, cut into 2" chunks
2 cloves garlic, minced

1 tsp. pimenton - bittersweet or hot, your call
1/8 tsp. saffron, toasted lightly

1 pound striped bass (you can sub other white, meaty fish), cut into chunks

1/2 cup white wine
1 28 oz. can tomatoes (seeded), otherwise use all
1 cup chicken stock or canned broth
1 cup water

parsley, minced (use stems with thyme and bay leaf to make bouquet garni)
Salt and pepper

Sweat the first 5 ingredients.

Bring stock to simmer and add saffron to infuse.  Oh yeah, if you don't have saffron, don't worry  - do you have any Old Bay?

When vegetables are translucent, add pimenton and stir. Add wine and cook it off. Add tomatoes, broth, water, bouquet garni, salt and pepper.  Bring to simmer; let simmer for 30 minutes. Season it to taste.

Add fish - cook till done - maybe 5 minutes, maybe 8 or 10. Remember, it's going to keep cooking after you turn off the heat, so better to undercook slightly. Remove bouquet garni, add parsley, stir, TASTE and serve.

1 comment:

  1. So delicious. I tried this last night and my kids
    loved it. I'm going to make this again.

    ReplyDelete