Thursday, February 5, 2009

G, G, Gertel's....Going, Going, Gone


Gertel's Bakery, a lower east side institution for more than 90 years, closed in June, 2007. 50 years ago, its location on Hester St. between Essex and Ludlow Streets would draw crowds around the block for the challah and rugelach, which was some of the best I have ever eaten.

But, gentrification and the ability to cash out at the right time signaled the end. So, they packed up and moved the whole operation to Brooklyn, where their wonderful baked goods are still available - wholesale. The good news is that they still sell to the general public; so, if you place an order of $25 or more the day before, your order will be ready to pick up the next day, on Steuben St. in Brooklyn. Here's the number for future reference: 212-982-3250. Now, go and eat you some rugelach...

Meanwhile, what has gentrification wrought? Well, from my window I have a perfect view of where Gertel's once stood - and here's what it looks like from the day the music died till right now...

What really bums me out is that I don't know how much higher this building will go. And I really like the building in the background (you can click on the photo to make it bigger), with the green patina roof, which I think is on Broadway around Spring St. Oh well, it might just block my view of the hideous Trump building going up even farther west, on Spring and Varick Sts. We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment