Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Get Happy

After a great birthday weekend with Significant Eater, I was feeling a little down. So what better way to chase the blues away other than to head out and meet a friend for a drink. As it happens, that night at Death & Co. was like old times. Plenty of familiar faces on the civilian side of the bar, and Brian Miller, one of the original bartenders, behind the stick.

Of course, Death & Co. is one of the groundbreaking cocktail lounges we have here in NYC. Opening well after the exclusive Milk & Honey and the more egalitarian Pegu Club, Death & Co. wasn't the first of the cool cocktail lounges; but for me, as well as for many others, it simply became our favorite. I don't know if it was the punch bowls; I don't know if it was the heavy wooden door. Maybe it was the location - a mere 15 minute walk from my apartment. Maybe it was the crowd. Actually, when you get right down to it, it was probably the drinks.

So Mr. Miller started me off with his
Cure For Pain cocktail, a rather strong concoction - and delicious too. If my memory serves me right, it included .5 Stagg, 1.5 Rittenhouse, White Creme de Cacao, Campari, Antica, tawny port, Ango and creole bitters. Good - you bet. Great even.

I then moved on to another boozy (yeah, Brian knows what I like) one - his
Jane Russell Cocktail. Rye based, with Benedictine, Antica, Grand Marnier and mole bitters to help soften the blow, it was about all I needed. I certainly didn't need to continue on to this final drink, shared with my friend, but the ice is so nice, isn't it? Almost made me forget that little bit of sadness I felt after a super weekend.


4 comments:

  1. mitch! -
    here i am in santa cruz, early (for me) in the morning, reading of your little "pick me up" in new york city - about as foreign as it gets. way out of my little world. i love it! walking to a place as fabulous as this place sounds - it's like living a movie! i was so intrigued by death & co that i had to visit their (very nice) website. i'm now visitng the airline websites to see how much a ticket there'll cost me... the cocktails have me drooling (and remember it's EARLY, for me, here). the food menu looks wonderful, too. do you eat there? you must. can you really drink those cocktails without food? those were some drinks - how long do you sit there? as i said, it's so foreign... i found so many cocktails i need to try. this one, i'm just not sure about - i suppose i'd have to try it... would/have you?
    Pearls Before Swine
    Martin Miller’s Westbourne Strength Gin, Fresh Squeezed Lemon Juice, Orgeat,
    Greek Yogurt, Lemon Curd,
    Rose Water
    thanks for the fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joyce - I've probably tried everything on the menu - at least once! That night we were there for 1.5 - 2 hours - no food, went out for a bite afterwards. It can get dicey without food, but...

    ReplyDelete